Lucky number seven.
7 is a classic gambling number, commonly associated with slot machines such as Triple 7 Inferno. It’s also the age of all people one year older that 6 (ok, that factoid was a little contrived).
So why do people revere the number 7 so much? Is it based on religion, or superstition, or mythology? Or was it just forced upon us by the people who invented gambling? Let’s find out…
The quick facts:
- The most common combination when rolling two dice; in Craps or Yahtzee (if you lose 3 dice)
- There are 7 colors in a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet
- A week contains 7 days
- The seven dwarfs
- The seven deadly sins
- The seven seas
- The seven sisters
- 7 wonders of the world; including the Great Wall of China and the Grand Canyon
- The neutral pH value between acidity and alkalinity
- Seven days of Creation. On the 8th day, God created Rock n’ Roll (Kiss circa 1992)
- The number 7 symbolizes “togetherness”. It is a lucky number for relationships. It is also recognized as the luckiest number in the west, and is one of the rare numbers that is great in China and the west.
- A cool movie “Seven” starring Brad Pitt (love the way he points the gun at Kevin Spacey at the end).
The quirky facts:
- The number of spots on a common ladybug (called a ladybird in the U.K.)
- The number of holes in most mammals’ heads (weird)
- Windows 7, the upcoming Microsoft operating system sometimes referred to as just “7″ – what are the chances of it actually working?
- The Seven Joys of the Virgin Mary. Hmm, how much joy could she have really had, giving birth without even enjoying sex!
- In Egypt cats are said to have 7 lives as opposed to the western culture legend of cats having 9 lives.
- The number seven is not Lucky in all cultures, for instance in Chinese the number seven is not Lucky at all and is sometimes considered unlucky. This is why Boeing Aircraft Co. did not sell a lot of 777s to the Chinese.
So, there you go. The number 7 is officially weird and wonderful.
You’d better go and place a 7 dollar bet on the number 7 on 7 roulette tables at once.